I was 22 when I started my first company (Mackenzie Image Consulting) and was launched into self-employment full-time when I lost my first job out of college. At that point, I found myself at a cross-roads of deciding whether or not to take on another job to pay the bills or dive all in with image consulting. Needless to say I took the latter and I thank my lucky stars I did because that path has brought us here.
However, it wouldn’t be a good story without a few road bumps …
During my second year in business, I had a friend say to me, “It sounds like you enjoy running and growing the company more than you do the client work.” That statement, seemingly insignificant sounding, hit me like a ton of bricks. It caused me to question my entire big picture. I spent the next year fighting this revelation for two reasons: I didn’t know what to do with it and I feared I had made a big mistake. What happened next? Revenue dropped and contempt set in.
That’s the irony of the revelations we often encounter in life – they drag you through the desert before you hit paradise.
With a swift kick in the pants, I pushed through my self-induced state of delirium and focused on hiring the right people to take over the client work (enter Megan Brandle) while I focused on building a scalable model for my business and working with others to help them build businesses around their passions. And it worked. Not only did this set into motion an evolution for something bigger (Best Kept Self), but it also caused my newfound addiction of producing e-learning platforms and selling content online. Since I loved helping others start their own business, I decided to build quality training courses for my own industry, housed under my second company, the Studio for Image Professionals. From a full-fledge six-week certification program to one-on-one mentoring, I have helped more than 200 aspiring consultants get their passion off the ground for the past four years. And I love it.
But helping others start their business is not the only thing I’m passionate about. I’m passionate about living a fulfilling life and I believe the foundation for doing so is working towards and embracing your very best self.
With self-acceptance and self-appreciation comes confidence. With confidence comes an open-mind, a willingness to take risks, and a healthy mindset regarding change.
Living life as an entrepreneur has afforded me the opportunity to meet and connect with talented individuals who bring tremendous amounts of value to this world, specifically in the realm of helping others feel, look, and live more confident. Their knowledge has impacted me and my path to success personally and I couldn’t have partnered with more passionate individuals to help you become your very best kept self.
Bullet Points of Life:
- Die-hard minimalist and believer that less is more
- Proud introvert
- Happy wife to one heck of a guy and amazing life partner
- Professional Public Speaker & Certified Image Consultant
- Founder and Co-Owner of the Studio for Image Professionals
- Body Language & Communication Expert
- Professor at the Art Institute of Charleston (Course: Public Speaking)
- Master of Arts in Communication & Leadership Studies from Gonzaga University
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies & and Entrepreneurship Certificate from the University of Iowa
- Charleston 40 Under 40 Award Recipient
- Nominated as one of Charleston’s Most Influential Women in Business
- Program Consultant for the South Carolina’s Women’s Business Center
- Active volunteer with 4-H and the Charleston Center for Women[/one_half]
Most Popular Blog Posts:
- 5 ways to improve your public speaking skills (without joining Toastmasters)
- 9 signs you’re not taking care of yourself and what to do about it
- The Science behind negative self talk
- 6 negative body language mannerisms you may be unaware of sending
- Overcome my insecurities? No thank you.
- 5 ways to stay productive when you’re self-employed
Connect With Shauna:
Shauna is a class act. She walks her talk and is a valuable member of my professional network. Shauna and I have done talks together and I would not hesitate to work with Shauna again and again. She knows her stuff– her clients get tremendous value from her services. Shauna has a special way of helping others uncover their own confidence. – Angie Mizzell, Writer
Shauna Mackenzie is one of the most talented individuals in the image consulting business. She is thorough, pays attention to the details, is extremely professional, and has a caring, giving heart. I highly recommend her! – Jacqueline Whitmore, Etiquette Expert
Shauna is one of the most real and genuine people that I have ever met. She takes the time to really get to know her clients and see who they truly are. She is a wizard at guiding clients through the process of showcasing their spark of greatness to the world in a way that resonates with their target market and gets results. Part coach, part brand ninja, this marketing maven gets results for those who are truly ready and willing to get started or take their business to the next level.
I cannot recommend Shauna enough, she’s truly one of a kind. – Laura Olsen, Photographer